Friday, February 18, 2005

Ferdinand de Saus-purr

So I was thinking about the meow the other day and how difficult it is, as a cat, to relate to alot of linguistic philosophy. I mean, obviously, cats don't just say meow, we meow and mew and purr and roar and squeak and click and so on, but we have a pretty limited set of sounds. I don't mean to underrate the meow, but its hard to say that the system of signfiers is an exclusive one that operates on solely on the basis of difference when you say "Meow" to mean both "Give me some food" and "Dude, could you get my mouse from under the couch, its stuck." That said, I think the meow is still the best of the various animal noises. Moo, bark, quack, there is no chance. There is no versatility there, I mean, you can't bark demurely, its always sort of a jilting noise. Quack makes you sound very aloof and obstinant. I won't even dignify moo with a comment.

Katie and Baxter have some mixed up idea about taking an Easter picture of me and to that aim they came home from the mall the other day with a ridiculous lamby-basket. In case its not clear what I mean, let me explain, that it is like an Easter basket, its about that size and has a little handle, however, instead of being a colored wicker-affair, it is wooly and has four legs and a lamby face. The second she got it home she stuffed me in it and giggled at me. Luckily for everyone involved I was very mild mannered. I attacked her feet later while she was asleep and took a running jump at the canopy, so I feel vindicated.

I'm considering becoming a singer/songcat. I have written what I think is a potentially Grammy winning album and would at least pick up nominations for Best Female (Cat) Solo Artist, Best Record by a Kitten, Debut Kitten Performance, and Most Meowriffic. I'm tired, I'm gonna go hide in the box spring for a nap.

Purr,

Hippo

No comments: